[Zebedee-talk] windows server 2008 RC2 64bit
e***@caseys.com
2011-04-21 15:59:15 UTC
Anyone been successful running Zebedee on this platform? I'm using the 32bit pre-compiled version.(last stable ver)
I'm able to run it with a simple 'zebedee.exe localhost', but I'm unable to pass in a .zbd config file like we did in 2003(32bit) with a -f parameter.
It says that it cannot open the config file (doesn't exist). It definitely does. I've tried giving fully qualified paths, with and without quotes, running from the same directory.. everything. Nada. I figure there are probably some tricks to getting it to work on this platform. Any help would be appreciated. The user running the Zebedee.exe certainly does have access to the folder containing the .zbd config file. I checked on that.

Thanks,
Eric A. Hand
Security Administrator
Information Systems
Casey's General Stores, Inc.
One Convenience Blvd
Ankeny, IA 50021
Phone: (515) 965-6122
Fax: (515) 965-6205
E-Mail: ***@caseys.com<mailto:***@caseys.com>
ANTI-VIRUS NOTICE: Any recipient of this email must be running an Anti-Virus program and must be actively subscribed to the vendor to receive virus definition updates as they become available. Any recipient not running an Anti-Virus program must delete this email within 24 hours from all folders within your email program and any email address contained in this message must NOT be added to any type of address book on recipient's computer
This email and any files transmitted with it should be regarded as confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom the message is addressed. If this e-mail was sent to you by mistake, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the message and then delete it from all systems. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
n***@bt.com
2011-04-21 16:40:22 UTC
I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 myself now. I'll try to get the tooling installed to make a 64-bit build.

Neil

Magnus Wedberg
2011-04-22 02:55:57 UTC
Post by e***@caseys.com
Anyone been successful running Zebedee on this platform? I'm using the 32bit pre-compiled version.(last stable ver)
I'm able to run it with a simple 'zebedee.exe localhost', but I'm unable to pass in a .zbd config file like we did in 2003(32bit) with a -f parameter.
It says that it cannot open the config file (doesn't exist). It definitely does. I've tried giving fully qualified paths, with and without quotes, running from the same directory.. everything. Nada. I figure there are probably some tricks to getting it to work on this platform. Any help would be appreciated. The user running the Zebedee.exe certainly does have access to the folder containing the .zbd config file. I checked on that.
Sounds like UAC or a permissions issue, I run several instances of
Zebedee with config files on 2008 R2 (I guess you mean that and not
RC2). Works perfectly!
--
Magnus Wedberg
http://www.magnuswedberg.com/
Warning! Objects in viewfinder may be closer than they appear.
e***@caseys.com
2011-04-22 14:46:55 UTC
UAC was off so that wasn't the issue. I ended up moving the executable and the config file to its own folder off of the root drive, instead of being placed in the c:\windows\system32\ folder.. and now it works. Weird permissions issues I guess. I had written files, etc into there as a test, but clearly something else under the hood was preventing it.

Thanks for the help!
-Eric

Ray
2011-05-26 23:14:53 UTC
<snip>
<***@...> writes:
UAC was off so that wasn't the issue. I ended up moving the executable and
the config file to its own folder off of the root drive, instead of being
placed in the c:\windows\system32\ folder.. and now it works.
Weird permissions issues I guess. I had written files, etc into there as a
test, but clearly something else under the hood was preventing it.
</snip>

The issue isn't 'permissions' as such, it's Windows File Virtualization.

File Virtualization Filter Driver is part of UAC, but not disabled just
because you turn off UAC.
(The actual driver is: %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Luafv.sys)

The system in Windows-7/Server 2008 will aggressively prevent you from writing
(even temporarily) to %WinDir%, %ProgramFiles%, and several other locations.
This will break many applications that expect to be able to write to the same
directory the executable resides in. It 'helpfully' will redirect many write
actions to the 'approved' locations, but not all.

There are multiple workarounds/solutions, the simplest is to place files that
need to be written in 'approved' locations like %ProgramData%.

There are other ways too, some drastic, some simpler.
The problem will be permanent though. Having jumped in at this point,
Microsoft will almost certainly expand the concept, not abandon it.
It's a complex topic, with often weird side effects.

One of the more straightforward articles it is:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387